From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:06:42 -0700
On 7 Oct 2002, at 1:26, David Gillett wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2002, at 20:07, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > When a user logs into an NT 4.0 Workstation and it is configured to map
> > to various network shares, if a share is not found a message is
> > generated asking the user do they want to disconnect the share
> > permanently or maintain the reference for future logon's. What we want
> > to do is to suppress the message and maintain the reference regardless.
>
>   It should be pretty simple to build a normal logon script, at the domain
> controller, that checks that the intended shares have been mounted and
> executes the appropriate NET USE command if they are not.

  I raised this question in a class I'm taking (preparation for the
"Designing Windows 2000 Network Security" MCSE exam...), and one of my
classmates offered that if the message is coming up when there is NO network
connection, it can be suppressed by defining (and selecting...) a Hardware
Profile that doesn't include a NIC -- NT will skip trying to re-establish
shares in that case, while leaving them enabled the next time it boots with
a NIC enabled.

  Might not helkp, but if this fits your scenario then it's a fairly elegant
solution.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml