From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 01:26:48 -0700
On 6 Oct 2002, at 20:07, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> When a user logs into an NT 4.0 Workstation and it is configured to map
> to various network shares, if a share is not found a message is
> generated asking the user do they want to disconnect the share
> permanently or maintain the reference for future logon's. What we want
> to do is to suppress the message and maintain the reference regardless.
>
> No matter what the users are told, someone invariably removes the
> connection by clicking the wrong button.
>
> One way would be using a script, but we're unsure if a script can be
> run locally on an NT Workstation during logon or where exactly to put
> the script.
>
> It would be preferable to hack the registry if that is possible and
> have the connection maintained with error messages suppressed.
>
> Could someone please advise?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards Roger Griffiths.

  Odds are that when they can't reach a share, it's for a reason that is
also stopping them from reaching a domain controller....

  It should be pretty simple to build a normal logon script, at the domain
controller, that checks that the intended shares have been mounted and
executes the appropriate NET USE command if they are not.

  i.e., Instead of trying to prevent them from disconnecting the share when
they can't reach the network, use a script to force the share whenever they
CAN connect.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>