Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 04:47:37 -0400
> Lynne wrote:
>
>  >Macadamia nuts are eaten in their natural state by dogs in Hawaii and
>  >Australia (where they grow.) They are also extremely toxic to dogs.
>
> In the natural state would have to be with the shells. I can see no way a
> dog could get the meat out. So are these toxins in the shell? If animals
> know what makes them sick, why would dogs be eating something toxic to
them?

> Don.

I've never seen macadamia nuts in the shell, so I don't know how difficult
they might be to crack. The toxin is in the nut, and I can assure that dogs
DO eat things that are toxic to them, or no dog would ever die of
anti-freeze poisoning. This article gives a good description of the reaction
(which is not fatal): http://www.aspca.org/apcc/vettech_1001.pdf

Lynne