EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ross Eadie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:11:47 -0500
Hi Folks,

I think I like the technology hooking up in the eye socket instead of the
brain.  If the technology ever got good enough for me to see my wife's and
children's faces as I once was able or very close, I might go for an
operation to see with my sight facilities.  I know this eye socket
technology is different than what Joe is going to get installed, but why
can't the other technology hook up to the optic nerve?  As for the
article's negative aspects, I refer you to the following passage:

"The aim is to bring a blind person to the point where he or she can read,
move around objects in the house, and do basic household chores," said
Sandia project leader Kurt Wessendorf. "They won't be able to drive cars,
at least in the near future, because instead of millions of pixels, they'll
see approximately one thousand. ...

Joe made a decent presentation on the Art Bell show, but this article
leaves the wrong impression to the general public.  We cannot drive cars,
read the printed word, and say enjoy some of the pleasures of the beech
when we are totally blind.  However, we can darn well do our household
chores unless we have other disabilities.  I move around the house quite
well thank you very much.  I also prepare the house for painting.  My wife
does the final coat of paint and trim.  I really get upset when I
participate with an organization trying to change the public's impression
of blindness, and then, these do gooders come out and say stupid things.
We all know the public is going to listen to the Doctor.  What do I know.
The research must go on, but maybe these doctors and so called experts
should not speak on our behalf.  They can explain the technology, but they
cannot try to explain what a person who is blind can do or not do.  that is
my rant for the week.

---
Ross Eadie
Voice:  (204) 339-5287