From:
Ann Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:14:07 EDT

The current issue of Gluten-Free Living contains a wide variety of articles
that will help you cope with celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. For
example you'll learn:

       o All the latest news from the international celiac conference in
Paris
       o How to shop for gluten-free products in the supermarket
       o Why enriched rice is gluten free
       o How Kraft has decided to voluntarily label gluten-containing
ingredients
       o Some tips on helping your teenage celiac fit in

In addition, following up on a previous article about citric acid, we explain
why this ingredient really is gluten-free. And we tackle some of the problems
caused by the proliferation of "unfounded information."

One article, particularly, has evoked comment on this listserv. In a sidebar
on page 17, we list some things we called "Food items you really don't need
to question." The first line of this piece says: "This incomplete list of
food items includes those that should be safe in their plain, unflavored,
pure, pristine state."
       The items from this list that were questioned are: peanut butter,
yogurt, pickles and butter. You can trust that all of these are gluten free
in their pure state.
       Of these items, it's often surprising to read the lengthy ingredient
lists of some peanut butters that you might assume would contain little but
peanuts. Some of them are probably gluten free, but you can't assume that
without questioning the processor. However, if you stick with plain, 100%
pure peanut butter, one that contains peanuts...period....you can feel
confident that you have chosen gluten-free peanut butter.
       Similarly plain, unflavored, pure yogurt would be gluten free. We've
seen flavored yogurts questioned but never researched why, and those with
additions such as granola or the like would almost definitely be off limits.
But celiacs can always select plain, unflavored yogurt and spruce it up to
their satisfaction.
       Pickles have long been questioned due to the vinegar content. But as
we know, vinegar is gluten free. Therefore plain, unflavored, pure pickles
would be gluten free.
       If there are some plain, unflavored, pure butters that are not gluten
free, then we stand corrected and would like to know about them.
       It's encouraging to see celiacs questioning information about the
foods considered safe and unsafe. At Gluten-Free Living, we work hard every
day to find answers to these kinds of questions, and to publish definitive
material that helps put these answers in perspective.
       We are dedicated to providing information to help celiacs live a happy
healthy gluten-free life. Our staff of experienced journalists follows
time-honored journalism practices to provide the most reliable information
about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet that you can find.
       If  you'd like to subscribe, subscriptions are $32 for one year or $54
for two years. Payment is by check or credit card. Be sure to include your
mailing
address and the length subscription you would like with your payment. You can

send credit card information (Visa or Mastercard) to [log in to unmask] or mail

check or credit card information to: Gluten-Free Living, PO Box 105,
Hastings-
on-Hudson, NY 10706.