From:
Dave Hillebrandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hillebrandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:22:50 -0400
Hi There, Glad you enjoyed your first field day and hopefully many more to
come. Age here is 40 but been to probably 20 or more of them and always
enjoy them, though ready to stay off of HF for a few days afterwards. Did
operate with a local club that talked me into joining them. Being a big CW
guy, I was a popular guy to snag i guess and used a call of w1se. Everyone
seemed to have a good time which is important thing i guess but I have been
on some winning teams and find it more fun if a good showing of contacts is
made. As far as TS440 goes, they work quite well for the blind and if you
get one with speach synthesized frequency readout you will find it to be a
big help. They are not very expensive at all any more and can find a lot of
them on used market since so many fancier rigs have come out since. They
don't have a bunch of menu items like newer rigs so even easier to use
though not quite as many options etc. Not sure what they go for now but
probably could get one for around $600 I think though others on the list can
correct me. The Kenwood TS570DG is new rig and fair amount more expensive
but great little rig and quite blind friendly with speach and will talk you
through all the menus. That is more in the $1000 variety. I'd say that the
TS440 is probably the least expensive rig out there that allows for speach
on gear and know you will be happy with it. Congrats on going to your first
field day contest. Think its hot, try going to one down here in central
Florida. 73, Dave W4CI