From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:06:01 -0800
I have a 5 year old Practical Peripherals External voice Modem. It was
designed to hang over the top of the monitor, so you could use the built in
speaker and microphone as a phone. I have used it all these years for my
answering machine, with Talkworks Pro.It has, and does work great. I have
never used the speaker phone features because I could never get the
microphone to work at any acceptable level. Everybody told me they could
barely hear me, or I sounded like I was in a elevator. However, as a
answering machine with Talkworks Pro, it has worked great.

Recently the modem itself has started to make a loud buzzing noise. It is
not a sound I want  to hear in the same room I am working in.  The modem
makes the noise whether or not it is connected to a computer. Plugging the
it into different AC circuits does not help, or have any effect. I have
tried swapping out the transformer / power supply but no improvement. I am
not opposed to opening up the modem and attempting repairs, but I don't
know where to start. I am thinking if I disabled the internal speaker and
or mic maybe I could get rid of the buzzing.

Are there any circuit board technicians or EEs on the LIST who could advise
me? Thanks