C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:26:43 -0500
I was being sarcastic.  My mum had a social worker on her case when she
signed up for hospice as did my dad when he was dying of cancer.  In both
cases, the social worker was great, but sometimes lines of communication got
messed up and things would not get done right, or according to their wishes
(my parents' wishes, that is).

Sorry to hear of the problems with the social worker who was assigned to
your mom.  Sounds like she didn't do her job thoroughly.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked all the social workers I've met but I've
always thought they had a thankless job, trying to work with their clients
and their agencies and to reconcile the two sides, not to mention working
with clients' families.  I've had friends who were social workers who've
told me they loved working with the people but hated their jobs because of
the restrictions they had to work with, not to mention all the red tape and
paperwork.  I almost decided to be a social worker myself, but that was
quickly derailed when I did an internship in college in the local county
social services department and discovered just how things were, and that was
25 years ago.  I also realised I couldn't leave the job at  the office when
I left at night and wouldn't be able to leave my work there.  So I didn't go
into social work but ended up in computers and the Human Resources side of
things..

Kat