From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:21:34 -0600
Maybe I missed part of the thread.  If you are not using a hub and
just connecting one NIC to the other NIC you need to use a
cross-over cable.  A regular CAT 5 "straight through" cable will not
work.  If this is the case just but a cross-over cable and a CAT 5
in-line coupler.

- Wayne Copeland

Beside what others suggested, if you still couldn't get rid of
"cable is
unplugged" message, you should try find the latest driver for your
NIC.

I have seen this before (happened to me), I had a XP machine on a
all-in-one
board, the build-in LAN adaptor was well detected and XP build-in
driver
seemed fine, however, I always got "cable is unplugged" even I saw
the light
on network port is on, but no IP address was assigned to it. right
after I
downloaded latest driver (chipset reference driver), everything
backed okay.

Jun Qian