From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:20:20 -0700
Jim,

After I lost the FAT on my wife's machine's HD when installing a new CPU and
motherboard, I've since always deleted all the drivers from the Device
Manager that I could.  I'm not sure that you really need to, but I don't
want to pay that price again...  It does take a little time, but if you
realize that you don't need to reboot every time Windows wants to (after the
installation), and that the IDE drivers are always installed AFTER Windows
wants to install modems, NIC's, sound cards, etc. and that you can cancel
those installations until the CD is actually available, then the PNP driver
installations go pretty smoothly.  It is up to you, but I remove everything
with a new motherboard installation and haven't gotten burned a second time.

It also works best to boot to Safe Mode to do the driver removal.  With some
machines, you also have to start the New Hardware wizard manually after the
install.

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

> ... Do I need to remove some system devices in Device Manager to allow
Windows 98 to load properly the first time and config to my new motherboard
and processor? I known I would have to remove these just before I shut down
the last time, correct?