From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:51:14 -0800
On 6 Mar 2002, at 12:45, Leon Dean wrote:

> I am using windows 98 and running norton system works. I keep
> getting the message INVALID ACTIVE X/COM ENTRIES
> "CLSID\225778A01-CCA8-11D2-A719-0060BOB41584 REFERS TO AN INVALID
> APPLICATION IDENTIFIER 225789EE-CCA8-11D2-A719-0060BOB41584. This
> happens over and over. I direct Nortons to repair the problem and
> a little while later the problem is there again. I also keep
> getting a crash message telling me that my program manager has
> crashed and nortons repairs that problem and a few minutes later
> the problem comes back. I have formated the hard drive and started
> over twice. This time I did not install Nortons system works and
> the computer is working well. I want to put Nortons back on but It
> seems to me that nortons is the problem all together? I know
> nothing about Registry issues. Does any one have any advice?

  CLSIDs are generated unique identifiers, used as registry keys,
which allow ActiveX components (ActiveX is the current name for
technology previously called "COM" and "OLE2") to unambiguously refer
to each other.
  What Norton is finding is that the information under one CLSID in
your registry includes a CLSID reference to a component which
apparently is *not* in your registry.  The way that ActiveX is
designed to work, that shouldn't happen, and so Norton is right to
complain about it.
  Without knowing what these components are, or how this situation is
arising, it's hard to guess whether this is an application bug or a
symptom of some other problem.

  While some Norton components do seem to introduce more problems
than they solve, I'm not convinced that, in this case, "shooting the
messenger" is the correct next step.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com