From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 10:53:51 -0400
Hello Aldo,

As I thought more about the problem you described, I realized that my
response about the problems with the i815 chipset using more than one DIMM
at 133mhz bus speed may not have directly addressed your problem.  After
all, you had been using two 128mb DIMMs previously.

The problems that I mentioned tend to be rather subtle and hard to detect in
everyday use, while the problem you describe is much more noticable (freezes
and reboots).

It may be that you can address the problem you are seeing through some BIOS
settings.  Not all PC133 memory is created equal in terms of the memory
settings it can tolerate.  I would start trouble shooting by making sure all
the memory timings were set to their slowest, typically described as 3,3,3.
If there are other memory timing options in your BIOS menu, set these to the
slowest as well.  (Higher numbers are typically slower for memory settings.)

The Asus BIOS offers something called memory "driving mode" or something to
that effect.  The enabled option is "strong".  This is suppose to be helpful
in situations like yours where more than one memory slot is being used by a
relatively large capacity DIMM.  If your BIOS offers something that sounds
similiar you might try enabling it.  This seemed to be the solution for a
number of CUSL2 users who tried to uppgrade their memory to 512mb, as you
are.

If simply manipulating the BIOS settings isn't helping, I would try each of
the 256mb DIMMS individually to make sure that they at least function well
by one at a time.  The memory testing utility that I mentioned previously
should give you a relatively quick way to try some different BIOS settings
and different combinations of DIMMs to see under what conditions problems
crop up.

I hope this is helpful.

John