From:
Robert Rodwoodie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:29:59 -0800
Hello Freinds :)

Hey, free up your computer resources a bit and also remove that annoying Task Scheduler from your sys tray! it's such a pain! I think we all know how to check for new critical updates.... well, here it is:

Disable A Stubborn Task Scheduler :

If you're reading this it's probably because you've tried to disable your Win98 Task Scheduler and found, much to your dismay, that it was back in your System Tray after a reboot. You've already launched Task Scheduler and clicked the Advanced pull down menu, and then clicked Stop Using Task Scheduler, and it didn't work. Well then, try the following:

If you've installed Critical Update Notification from Windows Update, now would be a great time to uninstall it. Also, delete all scheduled tasks from Scheduled Tasks in My Computer. Disable Task Scheduler again, using the method outlined above.
If it's still there after a reboot, go to Start/Run and type msconfig and hit Enter. On the Startup tab, uncheck the Task Scheduler and apply the change and reboot when prompted.
Still stalked by Task Scheduler? Go back and disable the Task Scheduler as above, to unload it. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System and rename Mstask.exe to Mstask.bak (or whatever you want). That will definitely rid you of the annoyance.

Have fun  -Robert