Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:11:01 -0400
I am having problems with my computer freezing but not all the time.
A few nights ago it froze about 10 times in a 2 hour period.
Yesterday it froze once.  I cannot use Control-Alt-Delete to restart
the computer.  I must manually shut down and restart the computer.

This is a Intel 600e on a Abit BE6-2 motherboard with 128 mb a ram.
Plenty of free space with two hard drives for a total of about 40
gig.  These drives are ATA 66 & 7200 RPM.  Video card is an ATI Rage
Expert 2000.  Mouse is a USB optical.  Computer has two different
Ethernet cards.  One for my cable connection and the other for my
home network.    It has an Adaptec SCSI card and a Creative Labs
sound card.  Power supply is a 300 watt power supply.

The computer freezes in all different programs (IE, Outlook Express,
Scandisk, System Information Tools, desktop, etc. )  It even
sometimes freezes at startup up just after it finishes loading
Windows.

I have turned off  all the programs in System Configuration Utility
that I can.  Normally I run Zone Alarm, McAfee VirusScan and Belkin
Sentry for my UPS and GoBack.  Even with all these programs turned
off I still get freezes.   I have installed the latest video driver
and also the latest mouse driver.  I have checked the inside of the
computer to see that all the cards and the memory are firmly seated.
Also checked to make sure all the fans were running.  (The CPU fan
is just a few months old.)  In Bios, temperatures of the CPU are
well below the danger point.

I did a thorough scan disk of all the drives, defragged all the
drives and checked for viruses with the latest McAfee dats.  I have
deleted all   my cookies and temp files.

Does anyone have any ideas to what could be causing the freeze ups?

Adele Sapilewski

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml