From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:10:02 -0700
The power supply fan on my computer stopped working, and because it was a
Gateway proprietary design (it is an off-sized ATX power supply) I could not
go down to my local parts store and get one.  I had to order it from Gateway
and wait.  As soon as it got here I put it in and took the fan off the old
one (it was out of the chassis and had been unplugged overnight). I opened
it up to get the screws holding the fan off.  I used insulated screwdrivers,
but never ran into any electricity.  I now have a backup power supply with a
working fan.  Interestingly, the plastic fan made in a third world country
cost nearly 70% as much as the power supply. Because of Gateway's
proprietary design it cost me about $70 to have two power supplies.  Two new
standard ATX 250 Watt power supplies would have cost $70 at my local parts
store.  Much cheaper on the Internet, but one never knows what one is
getting, and you have to wait too long.  I saw 250 W att ATX power supplies
at www.pricewatch.com for under $20, but the S & H was $10 and up.  I am not
advising anyone to open their power supply, I am just telling you that I did
it and nothing happened.  That does not guarantee that you won't be
electrocuted.  The choice is yours, but error on the side of caution.

I do agree with Carroll regarding much of his diagnosis, but on note 2, the
real reason to replace the power supply is not electrocution, but, what is
your time worth.  Finding a suitable replacement fan, disassembly.
Installation, and reassembly and not knowing if the power supply you just
repaired was ever worth it, or damaged due to overheating.
Power supply = $25 -- $50.
PS  Electrocution is very unlikely unless you don't unplug what you're
working on.

2. Power supply fans fail, too. Unless you are a skilled technician, DO
NOT attempt to fix one, just replace the whole power supply. It doesn't
matter all that much whether it's on or off, there can be a lethal
amount of electrical energy stored inside that box, and it can kill you.
Bite the bullet, and spend the bucks.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml