From:
Heidrun Schröder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:10:39 +0200
Hi everyone!
Tried this question at the PC-Soft mailing list already and they told me to
try with you, so today I am hoping for help from you for a problem my son's
computer is suffering from. You cannot get into the BIOS (Award) any more.
It was impossible when we bought the computer about 2 and a half years ago
but then I found a program that told me general passwords for all kind of
BIOS types and it did work (unfortunately I do not know the name of the
program any more either). But now it does not work any more. The password
is said to be invalid. My son thinks that maybe a program that was said to
be able to change BIOS settings from running Windows (as far as I
understood him) could have changed anything. He did not use it to actually
change anything but did just have a look through the program (maybe he had
to install it but he definitely did not use the program to change anything).
He does not remember the name of the program nor on which of all the
computer magazine CD-ROMs we have, it might have been. And moreover
we cannot be sure there will be a chance the program can help us to get
access to the BIOS again. So if anyone might have a guess about which
program it might have been and if it could do the trick to give us the new
password then we would be glad!

I wonder if there is another chance to get rid of that password entirely -
I know, you can take out the battery to get rid of that password. But then
it is said BIOS settings go back to default settings - does that mean
anything in case we never changed anything manually in the BIOS?Will it
work sort of on its own again afterwards or will we have to tell any
unknown strange settings to make the computer work again afterwards?

TIA
Heidi Schröder

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com