From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:31:37 -0400
I hesitate to chime in with only half an answer, but there are some simple
generalizations you can make when upgrading older p-III motherboards.
Remember to read up on your own brand, however.  First, if the slot1 board
supports any P-III cpu, it may likely accept the fastest cpu with the 512k
cache running at half speed. Intel specs allow a range of voltages for any
cpu, but it is pretty narrow so I wouldn't push it more than a tenth or so.
For socket370, if you don't have support for flip-chips (FC-PGA) then you
are limited to 500 mhz in a bare socket370.  There are socket adapters
similar to the socket7 overdrives that will allow a flip-chip celeron or
p-III to be installed in such a motherboard, and slockets that will allow a
the newer 256k full speed cache cpus to go into any slot 1.
Sorry I don't recall the particulars, but from my own experience, I found a
flip chip slocket that claimed to upgrade my LX440 chipset (66 mhz fsb) from
233 mhz slot 1 p-II to a fc-pga 733mhz 128k cache celeron.  While I was
debating whether it was worth it, considering the vintage of the
motherboard, we took the pc out of service permanently.  Try pricewatch.com
for links to slocket sellers.
Tom Turak