From:
Heidrun Schröder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 09:32:35 +0200
>from: [log in to unmask]
>subject: LAN
>Hi there everyone!
>I wonder if you could give me some explanations that might help us get our
>3-computers-LAN between the children's and my computer here at home work
>again.  We have a Pentium II running Windows 98, a Pentium III running
>Windows 98 SE and a Pentium III running Windows ME.  All have Realtek
>RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet network cards and are connected through
>a hub.  It worked all well and quick as long as the Windows ME computer was
>not there but a Pentium I with Windows 95 b instead.

>Now it seems Windows ME is doing things differently and I do not know how
>to handle it.  I can connect with the computer on Win98 SE and vice versa
>but cannot contact the Win98 one and vice versa, while the two other
>computers can get in touch without problems.  Moreover the rapidity of data
>move between the Win ME and the Win98 SE computers is so much slower
>than it was before.  The usual protocols (TCP-IP, DFÜ Adapter and so on)
>are installed same as before, only strange settings we can see is that
>Windows ME does have a virtual network card added and no IPX protocol
>is installed and there is no way I could install it as there is no such
>option but you could only choose between adding "Microsoft ATM Call
>Manager" and "Microsoft ATM Emulationsclient" which I have no idea about.
>tried to find something on the Recovery CD that came with this computer but
>could find nothing though I think I checked all folders on the CD-ROM as I
>do not know a name of a possible file
>TIA Heidi Schröder

>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: LAN
>>Hi, you shouldn't need IPX, only if you have a Novell server on your
>>network.  If you install the Client for Novell Networks then IPX would get
>>added.  Same with ATM, we have that at work and it is a different standard
>>from Ethernet.  You probably need to install the Netbeui protocol to for
>>all your computers to appear in Network Neighborhood.  Also to see a
>>computer, you need to have a folder 'shared out'.  I just hooked up my new
>>pc which hasME on it.  I have a similar scenario as you with 3 other
>>computers connected via a hub.  I couldn't see the new computer in Network
>>Neighborhood from the other computers until I installed Netbeui on the Me
>>computer.  I could however do a 'find computer' and put the computer name
>>in and then could see them.
>>Funny thing is now I can see the new computer in Network Neighborhood but
>>I can't see the other from the Me computer unless I do a 'find computer'.
>>If anyone knows, please let me know.
>>Thanks,
>>Dan Kucherich

Hi there, so the answer means, at least it is possible to get the LAN
working with Win ME.
I would like to try installing the NETBEUI protocol as it seems it might do
the trick. (It is available and installed in the two other computers in our
LAN) but my problem now still is what I mentioned in my first mail -
when I go to "Network Neighborhood - properties - configuration - add" I
have no choice to install any protocols but "Microsoft ATM Call Manager" and
"Microsoft ATM Emulationsclient" which as I came to know from your answer
are of no use for me. Tried to find something on the Recovery CD that came
with this ME computer but could find nothing. So does anybody know about how
to get the NETBEUI protocol installed into my system.
I hope you can help - Heidi Schröder

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com