RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David R. Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 20:39:46 -0400 (EDT)
[ Pierre writes]

> In your "Welcome" message, you mention the expression "natural hygiene". Does
> it refer to a US association called "American Natural Hygiene Society"
> (ANHS)? I know a bit about this association. IT looks like very much the UK
> Veg*n Society. Both suggest a "vegaan" diet.

> The main difference is that, in ANHS, emphasis is put on health, while
> VegSoUK puts also great emphasis on animal rights. ANHS also insist more (as
> well as I know) on raw foods).

> I think the book "Fit For Life" from the Diamond's was largely inspired by
> ANHS ideas.

Thanks for pointing out my mispelling of hygiene. I was refering to the
general natural hygiene movement, which dates back to the early 1800's.
In 1806, Samuel Thompson, a farmer from New Hampshire, puts forth the
notion that the body is self-healing, and calls for people to become
their own physician. Thompson is followed by a host of others, such as
Dr Isaac Jennings, Sylvester Graham, Russell Trall, Dr Harriet Austin,
and Dr James Jackson. Before the U.S. civil war, there were actually
more hygienists than traditional doctors and medicine men. But by the
1870's, Louis Pasteur's theories on germs as causing disease and
the techniques of sterilization and subsequent fear of uncooked foods
became widely accepted, and the new era of modern medicine became
predominent.

In the 1900's, others have attempted to revive the hygienic movement,
such as Dr. J.H. Tilden, who published a book entitled TOXEMIA EXPLAINED,
where he establishes that all disease comes from the destruction of nerve
energy brought on by bad diet and harmful living choices. One of the more
recent and well know hygienists, Dr Herbert Shelton, publishes numerous
texts on the movement, offering a systematic approach to natural hygiene.
Shelton, among others, founds the American Natural Hygiene Society referred
to above, in 1948.

Other modern proponents of natural hygiene include T.C. Fry, Dr Vivian
Vetrano (an associate Dr Shelton), Jo Willard (who founded Natural
Hygiene, Inc.), Victoria Bidwell, and, as Pierre mentioned, Harvey and
Marilyn Diamond, who wrote the best seller FIT FOT LIFE. I am sure
that I have missed others.

Natural hygienists certainly advocate a raw food based diet (fruits and
vegetables, nuts and seeds in their uncooked whole state, in proper
combinations), but go beyond diet to include the need for clean air,
pure water, exposure to sunshine and natural light, exercise, adequate rest
and relaxation. Also, some hygienists will not eat fermented foods, or sea
foods, such as seaweeds, algae, kelp, etc.

I have a lot of respect for the Natural Hygiene practioners, and certainly
welcome any contributions from their movement to this list.

Here are some Natural Hygiene Organizations and contacts of which I am aware:

The American Natural Hygiene Society
P.O. Box 30630, Tampa FL 33630. (818) 855-6607

The Canadian Natural Hygiene Society, Attn Joe Aaron
P.O. Box 235, Station "T", Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6B 4A1

Natural Nygiene, Incorporated, Attn Jo Willard
P.O. Box 2132, Huntington, CT 06084 (203) 929-5566

Get Well Stay Well, America!, Attn Victoria Bidwell,
Box 1776, Mt Vernon, WA 98723 (206) 428-3687
publishes THE HEALTH SEEKERS YEARBOOK, a large source of info on
Natural Hygiene, including Hygienic doctors, resorts, and other books.

Health Excellence Systems, Attn T.C. Fry
1108 Regal Row, Manchaca, TX 78652 (512) 280-5566
publisher of many books more accessible to lay persons than Dr Shelton.

Sources:
THE HEALTH SEEKERS YEARBOOK, Vitoria Bidwell, 1990

THE GARDEN OF EDEN RAW FRUIT & VEGETABLE RECIPES, Phyllis Avery, 1992,
Hygea Publishing Co, 1358 Fern Place, Vista, California, 92083

Best wishes and health,

David Mayne