EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:40:44 -0600
At 09:11 AM 6/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Seward Learning Systems, Inc. can help you. Check out our site at
>www.sewardls.com, which I recently re-engineered for greater accessiblity.

Rosemary,

While it may be more accessible, I find myself wanting it to be  more
*usable*.  What do I mean?

For one thing, the Macromedia Flash stuff makes the page load time
unbarably slow (several minutes on my dial-up connection), and it is only
because that I wanted to see the page that I waited for it -- under normal
circumstances, I would have aborted tthe page load because anything that
takes that long to bring up is generally not worth my time.

Second, the page counter is not accessible, or simply does not work.

Thirdly, why do you force your users to go through two links to get to the
actual contact information (address and phone numbers) when that
information should be on the page titled "contact information" directly off
the main page.

I admit that I only took a brief look at the site, so I don't know if there
are other usability issues, but accessibility without usability is just as
problematic as usability without accessibility.

Just my observations.

-- Jim

James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists."

- Eric Hoffer