From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:46:58 -0400
At 11:49 PM 04/04/2001 Jun Qian wrote:
>Just my $0.02 on winMe.
>
>at work, we have more problems related to Me rather than win98, we also have
>a lot of driver problems too. Still, many devices don't have Me driver yet,
>and win98 driver don't always work.
>
>Personally, I don't see much good thing Me over win98 myself....

I agree with Jun Qian.

WinME is okay if it came bundled with a new computer and you have NO legacy
equipment. Upgrading to WinME is not worthwhile if it entails upgrading
part or parcel of one's platform. You'll also notice niggling issues, like
some DOS commands which will not work as they did in Win9X from a boot
floppy. The improved interface and digital features of WinME may be a
decision maker for some folks.

Industry standard legacy equipment does not enjoy the same support in the
latest versions of Windows NT either. Scanners and certain interface cards
immediately come to mind.

In my own experience, the move from Win98 to SE was a wash, some pluses and
some minuses. I certainly do not recommend a SE upgrade over an original
Win98 installation, or a WinME installation over any Win9X system.

Instead, I recommend replacing the hard drive and installing the newer
version of Windows on a new drive using the end user installation disk, a
bootable CDROM, or an OEM Preinstallation Boot Floppy. Use a removable
drive bay if you wish to switch operating systems.

Regards,

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com