From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:06:00 -0800
Yes you could install Linux as a router firewall on a 486DX66 with 16 megs
of RAM but your pushing it a bit. A marginal computer may not be able to
run Xwindows which means you will have to set everything up from the
command line. How much RAM do you have.....16 megs would be the minimum for
this job. I have run Linux Slackware on a DX266 with 16 megs or RAM but i
could not load X.

A router Firewall is a common use for Linux but it takes skill and
knowledge to set it up. This after all is a security device and if you
don't feel comfortable with your setup then you are not very secure. A
expert could set this up and make it work but I am not sure that such a PC
is a good one to use as a learning device. Mine is a  P166 with 64 megs of
RAM but any Pentium with 32 megs of ram should be fine. Once you have the
firewall router up and running it will run from the command line so it will
not require a powerful computer but it is setting things up and having
access to Xwindows that will require more resources.

Linux was never intended to be a desktop box. It is by design a true
mulit-user muti-tasking networking device. It is designed to be a Server or
a powerful Workstation. There are companies like NETMAX that have written
Linux installs that install as a router... firewall ...or router Firewall
Server...and are already set up to connect to a Windows LAN (not a easy
thing) and be configured from a remote computer using a web
browser.  Expect to pay 100 plus dollars for one of these. You will also
need a Pentium to run them.

There is no one book that will make this easy for you. For one thing every
version of Linux will have it's own particular setup and fine tuning. There
are LOTs of web resources. Do a search and you will be overwhelmed with
links. Some Basic Linux books that may help you out.

---If you are using Red Hat Make sure you get a Red Hat manual
---Linux for Dummies is not bad for beginners to help you get through the
first install.
---the <Special Edition> Using Linux is a pretty good reference
---to understand fundamental Linux the bible would probably be Running
Linux by Matt Walsh but it is a bit dated and dry.

a good place to purchase all versions of Linux and  Linux books  is
www.cheapbytes.com

The Red Hat Email list is [log in to unmask]  ...this list generates
hundreds of posts every single day so be prepared for a lot of email.

Unlike windows Linux is a open source and extremely dynamic operating
system. Things are always changing....if you are a programer you can write
your own version.....which makes it impossible to have a step by step book
for all users. Linux is one of those esoteric computer nerd thing that you
just have to slug your way though and I have never heard anybody refer to
Linux as easy.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group