Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:57:41 +1100
Hi
most of the models i have seen are only at retailers sites in Australia,
but after a quick search i did find these
http://www.fitusa.com/products.htm
http://www.abcd.com.au/cddrive/cdex_case.htm
http://www.baber.com/baber/products/bex_cd_1usb525.htm
http://www.cablesonline.net/cablesonline/exidecas.html

All the models I've seen use a external power source, usually just a plugpack.
If the burning program supports the drive, then it will support it thru the
USB.
They usually include drivers etc. to get em going.
As for performance, I think the drives are limited to about 6x because of
bandwidth on the USB, so it's pretty pointless to go out and buy a super
fast one (unless you intend to install it in a desktop at a later stage)
but to me 4x burn is good enough, I'm happy to leave a cd to burn while I
go play with my little girls :) (you can pick up cheap ones from on-line
auctions, I got mine for $50)

As for the model, ask yourself what software you want to use, then find a
model in your price range the works with that software. Not all drives work
with all software (cloneCD is a good example) I'm not going to suggest a
model, because it will only start a flame war from people saying their
drive is better etc. Just spend some time in hardware review sites and do
some research. you'll find something that suits you.
Next check the case manufactures, and make sure they support that drive. I
have heard of some drives not working with some cases.
A dealer I'm going to buy one from said "if it doesn't work with my drive
he's happy to refund me"

I know this might seem like a lot of trouble, but I believe it's worth it
in the long run to get what you want without having to make compromises or
limit yourself to a certain model.

cheers Dave Stevens