NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:31:47 -0400
Hi -

I have a couple of points to make:
1.  Some doctors and allergists will accept your version of what happens when your
child is exposed to dairy, and not require more formal testing.  Many schools will
accept what the doctor says, and not need further documentation.

2.  Many allergists will accept a "challenge" in their presence (if that's safe
for you to do) rather than requiring any kind of skin or blood test.

3.  You DO need to educate your child's school.  The Food Allergy Network
has a great video for schools and daycare providers.  I think it's called
"Just One Bite".  Our nursery school uses it as part of their routine
annual training for all teachers.  (The FAN is accessable from my web site,
but I can't think of the URL off the top of my head. Sorry.)

4.  Other parents have said YOU must stay constantly vigilant.  It's true.
You must teach your child to NOT share food, to only eat snacks YOU provide,
even if a teacher offers something that the class is eating.  And so forth.

Good luck!
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.