NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:16:17 -0400
Hi -

My son has just entered Kindergarten (in Montgomery County, Maryland).
I need to bring in a birthday treat on Friday.  The school (and the
after-care, which is officially a daycare) have informed me that all
such treats must be "store-bought with the ingredients listed on the
box". (Or I can come in with ingredients and it can be a cooking
project.)

This is not a problem now, since my first child is merely lactose
intolerant.  My second, though, has more severe allergies, and I'm not
convinced I can buy him a cake he can eat.  (He's two years away from
that school, so this is not an immediate concern.)

Does anyone have any experience with/opinions on this kind of policy?
It strikes me that it's sensible with respect to parents who are
clueless, since the teachers can call the allergic child's parents and
read the ingredient list.  But for children who are severely allergic to
anything, or who are allergic to staples such as milk, egg or wheat,
this policy could be a serious drawback.

I asked if I could cook at home and bring in the complete ingredient
list, but was told no.

Any thoughts?
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.