BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Authentic Replicants Converge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:39:13 EDT
Cross post from a librarian's listserv; should you tell him Ralph, or should
I? (Or, could someone check in with those French limestone cutters in the
bayou?):

Subj:    A reference question
Date:   04/11/2001 5:58:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   [log in to unmask] (Greg)
To: [log in to unmask] (Multiple recipients of list)

Dear Colleague:

I'm looking for a source that will tell me how typical hand gestures are
viewed in various cultures. I'm particularly interested in how the
French see using the crooked finger to beckon someone.
Is it a polite gesture or does it convey disrespect when used by one
adult to summon another. Can you point me to a reference work  and/or
give me your personal feelings about this gesture?

Thanks for your help.   Greg Gallagher