From:
jbramble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:37:57 -0400

My 21 month old son has been diagnosed with Celiac and been gluten free
for about 4 months now. We were doing really well at first, now he is
back to having loose stools again for the past couple weeks. I can't pin
down the culpret as I haven't added any new foods to his diet. About 1
month ago, his doctor suggested trying to get him used to milk products
again. I tried for a couple days slowly adding Lactaid 70 to his soy
milk. Then after a couple days with no problems, I began adding regular
milk. It seems at this time his diarrhea started, so I immediately
stopped. He has been back on soy milk, but continues with loose stools.
I figured if it was related to lactose intolerance that it would have
cleared up by now. So, I've been trying to look elsewhere in his
diet/environment for the culpret. I am pretty sure that all of his food
is gluten free since his last antibodies blood test came back normal.
However, this test was done before his diarrhea began a couple weeks
ago. He eats mostly whole fresh foods and I've double check the gluten
content of the others. I'm starting to wonder about things such as the
dog's food. He occassionally gets his hand in the bowl before I can get
to him. Does anyone know of a gluten free dog food in order to eliminate
this worry? I've recently changed my hand lotion so I don't have to
worry about its gluten content. Any other suggestions of things I should
look out for? Is Lactaid okay for celiacs? I don't give my son anything
unless it is listed on one of the GF lists or I've checked with the
manufacturer myself. My one question about this is, do I need to check
with the manufacturer about every item I do not see on a GF list even
though the ingredients label looks okay? (Things such as applesauce,
popsickles, frozen or canned veggies/fruit etc..) I'm still fairly new
at this and still have so much to learn. I'm so grateful that I found
this email list.

Thank you in advance.

Janel in Maryland