From:
jbramble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:58:29 -0400

Thank you to everyone that responded to my request for GF bread
recommendations. I was truly overwhelmed by the number of
through and organize all of the emails. Thank you also for the
encouraging words and support that went along with many of your
them all. I intend to try as many as I can, as well as the recipes, and
will post again later with my results.

Here goes..

The most popular breads were...

1. Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread www.glutenfree.com "We get
excellent results every time." "You still have to warm it before eating,
but the flavor and texture are good!" "It is a little crumbly, but is
the best tasting bread I have come across." "I swear it came out great.
I'll never go back to store bought bread again. "

2. Bette Hagman's recipes from "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread"
especially the Feather Light Rice and 4 Bean flour breads. "I am getting
WONDERFUL BREADS from her recipes."

3. Bette Hagman's Corstarch bread recipe from "The Gluten Free Gourmet
Cooks Fast and Healthy" "It is given credit for being the most like
wonder bread." "I find it makes a good bread, not heavy, moist or crumbly."

4. Kinnikinnick's Breads. I am anxious to try these breads at
www.kinnikinnick.com "Closer to real bread," "Best bread by far!"
"Doesn't crumble or weigh enough to be a boat anchor!" ""heavenly" baked
goods--and believe me we've baked and bought our own samples of
disasters." "Almost better than a regular bakery."

Many people also use...

1. Food for Life Brown Rice and Rice Almond and Pecan Breads.
"It is heavy, but if you toast it just a little it is really good."
Tip: cut thick slices in two

 2. EnerG Breads.  Tapioca Bread - "I've tried some of these and Tapioca
is the best so far. I microwaved a couple slices wrapped in wax paper
for about 30 seconds. It turned out great. My non-celiac teenage
siblings liked it as well."

Brown English Muffins - "Their Brown English Muffins are simply
wonderful!" "They are more like a hamburger bun than an English muffin,
which makes them great for all types of sandwiches"

3. Red Star Pamplet of GF bread recipes www.redstaryeast.com or 1-800-4-
CELIACS.  Ask for the GF Bread recipie pamphlet.

Buttermilk Bread Recipe "...comes out like white bread."

Our Favorite White Bread recipe - "This bread is the best texture I've
tried"

Other brands to try...

1. 'Cause Your Special White Bread "While this bread is not exactly like
"real" bread, it does taste good and doesn't have the gritty/waxy
texture of most gf breads." "The kids group in our local celiac support
group had a meeting where everyone brought a loaf of gf bread and the
kids tasted them and voted on them. 'Cause You're Special won hands down."

2. Mr. Ritts bakery in Philly - mrrittsbakery.homepage.com
"Fantastic Breads!!"

3. Authentic Foods White bread mix

4. Cybros rolls and breads www.cybrosinc.com "I have a 8 year son with
Celiac and he will only eat Cybros rolls and bread.  The consistency is
what he likes. He eats their rolls for lunch and does not have any problems. "

5. Miss Roben's Potato Bread "Stays very moist, and lasts without drying
out, but you need to like that "potato flavor""

6. Glutino

7. Sylvan Border Farms

8. Bette Hagman's True Yeast Bread

9. Millet Bread by the Deland Bakery in Deland Florida "The best bread I
have found ( and several celiacs I know agree) . It can sometimes be
found in health food stores or you can order directly."

Tips...

1. Slice bread and store individually wrapped in freezer. Or separate
slices with wax paper before freezing.

2. Cover slices (paper towel or wrapped in wax paper) and microwave for
about 20-30 seconds to soften the bread.

3. Toast slices...twice.

Baking Tips...

1. When baking bread, beat dough for 30 minutes in mixer to make it
lighter and fluffier

2. Add 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin to help with "spring"

3. Try dry dough enhancer from Ms. Robens or GF Pantry

4. Add couple tablespoons of good olive oil for additional moistness

Instead of bread, try using...

1. Corn tortillas, pancakes, waffles, rice cakes, lettuce

2. Make your own GF flour tortillas

Recipes...

1. I also received several recipes for bread, rolls, and buns to try. I
am looking forward to trying them! I'll let you know how they turned
out.

Thanks again for your help!

Janel