From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:24:28 -0600
At 01:14 PM 06/02/2000 , you wrote:
>I am pretty sure that I connected the power supply correctly.  The FIC 503+
>is an AT board and I made sure that the P8 and P9 connectors were aligned
>right, with the blacks wires adjacent to each other.  I don't
>know...hopefully I connected them right!  The power supply fan and the CPU
>fan turn on, so I think the power supply is functional.  Assuming that that
>end of the problem is covered, I am left with having ruined the mboard.
>Ideas, anyone?  Or do I resign myself to getting another mboard?

If the fan on the CPU powers up, then the odds are really good that
your powersupply is not the issue.

At this point, you may have issues with something connected to
the motherboard that was jarred out of place during the replacement
of the powersupply.  You should remove and reseat all of your
I/O cards, such as video, modem and so forth.  You should also
check to see if your ram modules are firmly into their slots, as well
as the CPU if it is a Slot 1 or Slot A chip.  These are the most likely
culprits at the moment.

If these all seem to check out, then try clearing your CMOS settings
by use of the jumper on the motherboard.  Why?  An errant jolt of
power, even just static electricity, could have changed something
in the CMOS of the Bios that is effecting your motherboard's ability
to Post.

The final thing would be to go back and pull out all your I/O cards
except the video, disconnect all data transfer ribbons to floppy drives
or hard drives.  Now you should have only CPU, RAM and Video card
on the motherboard.  Try powering it up again...  if it will not post now,
odds are probably good that either the motherboard, CPU or Ram has
been effected... and needs to be replaced.  You can try switching
out the CPU and Ram with known good modules to confirm if they are
bad and eliminate every final question that the motherboard needs to
be replaced before doing so.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: