From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:05:41 -0500
From: Bob Wright :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Motherboard shot?

> At 01:14 PM 06/02/2000 , you wrote:
> >I am pretty sure that I connected the power supply correctly.  The FIC
503+
> >is an AT board and I made sure that the P8 and P9 connectors were aligned
> >right, with the blacks wires adjacent to each other.  I don't
> >know...hopefully I connected them right!  The power supply fan and the
CPU
> >fan turn on, so I think the power supply is functional.  Assuming that
that
> >end of the problem is covered, I am left with having ruined the mboard.
> >Ideas, anyone?  Or do I resign myself to getting another mboard?
>
> If the fan on the CPU powers up, then the odds are really good that
> your powersupply is not the issue.
>
> At this point, you may have issues with something connected to
> the motherboard that was jarred out of place during the replacement
> of the powersupply.  You should remove and reseat all of your
> I/O cards, such as video, modem and so forth.  You should also
> check to see if your ram modules are firmly into their slots, as well
> as the CPU if it is a Slot 1 or Slot A chip.  These are the most likely
> culprits at the moment.
>
> If these all seem to check out, then try clearing your CMOS settings
> by use of the jumper on the motherboard.  Why?  An errant jolt of
> power, even just static electricity, could have changed something
> in the CMOS of the Bios that is effecting your motherboard's ability
> to Post.
>
> The final thing would be to go back and pull out all your I/O cards
> except the video, disconnect all data transfer ribbons to floppy drives
> or hard drives.  Now you should have only CPU, RAM and Video card
> on the motherboard.  Try powering it up again...  if it will not post now,
> odds are probably good that either the motherboard, CPU or Ram has
> been effected... and needs to be replaced.  You can try switching
> out the CPU and Ram with known good modules to confirm if they are
> bad and eliminate every final question that the motherboard needs to
> be replaced before doing so.
>
>     Bob Wright

I would especially check your ram and make sure it is properly seated.  I
just had a stick of sdram go bad in my computer and I received the same
message that my windows installation was corrupt and I would have to
reinstall.  I replaced the ram and the computer booted without any problems
and without reinstalling windows.

Mary Wolden

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html