NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mejia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:30:43 -0500
My daughter, age 2 1/2 has always had the problem of vomiting after eating
even a trace of milk/whey/casein containing items. It is usually 12 hours
after eating. Sometimes it takes a few days of eating items containing whey
or other by-products for it to start. Then once the cycle starts she may
wake up vomiting two or more nights in a row. She gets very stuffy nose,
upset stomach, grouchy, dark puffy rings under her eyes, and doesn't eat
well. She may get diarrhea or constipation. Once the dairy has worked
through her system, usually 4-5 days, she is fine again.
Now I have completely eliminated all sources of dairy and dairy related
items in her diet. She has not had any problems at all since then. However,
if something slips through my dragnet, she will have a small episode.
She has not had any testing, I am not sure what tests if any she needs to
have. My doctor has not suggested any, other than eliminating dairy and see
if the symptoms stop.

I now cook and bake all our food from scratch, so I know exactly what is in
it. I substitute powdered soy milk mix for powdered milk, Willow Run soy
margarine for regular margarine and Silk Wave soymilk for milk.
The other members of the family cannot tell the difference and really like
the homemade food.  The best part is my daughter is symptom free and that
really makes the extra work worth it. The peace of mind is the best benefit.
Good luck.
Cindy
Michigan.