BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:51:36 EDT
In a message dated 06/19/2000 10:28:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Stopped at the Pennsylvania State Capitol in Harrisburg, certainly the
>  absolute worst such interior I've ever seen - an ignorant, bombastic
>  Klassical, without a hint of subtlety or art, except the peculiar Mercer
> tile floor in the rotunda.

Have you ever been to Henry Mercer's house, Fonthill, outside of Doylestown,
PA? If not, I endorse a visit.

>  Next morning we took the $50 tour of Fallingwater, and I'm afraid my
dubious
>  forebodings were confirmed. ...
>
>  Wright's arrogant incompetence in such things as unforgivably demanding
>  tolerances on the windows, poor reinforcement, uncomfortable furniture,
>  pointlessly low ceilings and dark halls - the whole thing was an
>  embarrassment to me - what an abuse of trust and power!

Amen! I'm a victim of FLW peer-pressure! I really disliked FLW's work, until
I actually physically saw some of the buildings, particularly the Robie
House, and Fallingwater. I now appreciate the artistry of his vision;
however, I think any architect's clients deserve a roof that doesn't leak.

Sign me,
ONEdryCat under a gable