BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:38:35 -0400
Wow! Not only does the Sharpshooter need a crew of architects, engineers,
and conservators to maintain his porch protection during the low-season,
he's let on that his Benz is garaged in the Vineyard just steps from the
delicate veranda. Such a subtle hintster: he's still waiting for a crack
team of experts to announce their availability. Now, with the car, we should
be able to get to the market, out to a bar or two. Yee-haw!!!

As for Fallingwater: I had a class-mate in graduate school who regulary
called it Running Water. She refused to believe us when we corrected her.
Last I knew she was working for a managed care company in Stamford,
Connecticut. I was a bit underwhelmed by Falling Water on my first visit --
with a bus-load of tourists. But, then I spent the day in Dunbar (the
population of said fine burg, I have been told, has been studied several
times in an effort to develop a sound understanding of the effects of
in-breeding). And, after marvelling at the wonders of nature, returned to
Fallingwater. When the crowds are gone and the docents gone home, the place
is a lot more agreeable. Of course, you cannot get in the house (legally)
after hours, but you can wander through the stream, up behind the house, and
get a much better sense of the place. Once I'd had a chance to sit by myself
for a while I found the house started to grow on me. And, that running water
is perfect backdrop for contemplation of the pronunciation of Youghigeny...

Call me,

Chief Engineer, Porch Brigade.