RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:59:53 -0500
Jean-Claude,

>what wild foods are available to you ?

Apples (of many varieties), plums, pears, cherries, blueberries,
raspberries, blackberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, peas, greens, etc.. Some of
these things were probably cultivated at one time, but grow and thrive in
the wild. There's a lot of fish and game around here as well, but I don't go
after any of that.

>in the light of those number how much calories are left for fruits for you
>to eat , what weight of fruits does it represente ?

As a close estimate, on average, the diet is about 65% fruit by calories -
give or take 2-3%. I generally take in about 1,700 calories from fruit, per
day. The volume percentage can vary. Lately it's been about 5-6 pounds per
day. But when I'm eating melons in the warmer weather months, the fruit
intake can go as high as maybe 8 pounds per day. Melons have a lot higher
water content and are lower in calories, compared to apples, pears, mangos,
etc..

>are you living in a city?

Yes, but it's a small city. It has the various resources that a big city
has, but with a lot less population. And there is abundant wilderness area
all around here, with some very unique places. One area is an ancient,
eroded mountain range. Another area is an ancient, now dried-up lake bed,
and has a lot of unique plant life, hills, sandy areas, etc.. And there are
the various unique places all along Lake Superior, which I live close to.
Lots of unique places to become scarce in all around here. Most of it is
National Forest land, and comprises many hundreds of square miles in total.
And all of it is within a 20-minute drive from here.

Wes