RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:39:46 -0800

> > insuline response . Wild fruits are less sweet and
> > way richer in fibers )
> >
> > I believe there are many wilder fruits that are more
> > sweet, but
> > yes, in general what you say is true.
>
> The wild strawberries that I would eat as a child were
> a hundred times sweeter (though much smaller) than any
> cultivated strawberries I have ever tasted.

I think you are mistaken by the fact that wild frut have way more aromas
than domestic ones . The sensation of delight you feel when eaten wild
fruits come from volatile coumpounds that give its richness to the taste .
to counterbalance this loss of aromas the breeders need to select sweeter
fruit so it still taste something  . this difference is also even more so if
with the same variety to start with , you fertilise and irrigate .
because i don't here my strawberries have way more flavor than the
neighbours.( who are still organic )
when it comes to commercial strawberries no taste are left apart from their
sugar content .
For one month of the year
> practically everything we ate had blackberries in it.

i found the blackberries here  ( west coast of Bc ) the tastiest that i ever
tried ( in france or oregon , washington state ,... ).

> What is a fruit like that is higher in fiber? I like
> Pippin apples much better that golden or red
> delicious, which I have never liked, they are crisper
> and more tart. They seem to me like they are higher in
> fiber, but I'm not really sure what an apple that is
> higher in fiber would be like.

more mealy taste like crabapples or  many of 400 varieties we have on this
island .

> Frogs are easy to catch and to eat. My five year old
> nephew can catch big frogs with his hands. And frogs
> are vertebrates.

like lezards snakes and many other animals .

jean-claude