From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:14:03 -0500
From: "Daniel Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>

> Mark,
>
> I wish you luck in finding your driver, or getting the vendor
> to distribute one.  I am amazed at the lack of support alot of vendors are
> putting forth with the release of windows 2000. I believe this will be
> Microsoft's flagship - I am for the first time actually impressed with
this
> release.

I think the vendors are just in a wait and see mode.  I beleive they
are waiting to see what the consumer market will do before they
put forth the time, expense, and resources to develop for a product
that may not succeed in the consumer market.

For one thing, consumers are becoming very leery of MS products.
Each version of windows was advertised as a "new and improved"
version that purportedly solved all the problems of the previous
version-- but didn't.  As you yourself stated "... I am for the first
time....",
And let's not forget that the price for Win2k is almost twice the
price of Win98.

> Although everyone is toting Windows 2000 as a "serious business" OS, they
> seem to forget that there are alot of experienced technical people who
will
> benefit more from windows 2000 than waiting for the next consumer release.

Yes, we "techies" will probably all be willing to shell out the obscene
price
for Win2k, but all of us together are but a very tiny drop in that
vast, global, consumer bucket.

> It does not crash, its far more secure,

I think the jury is still out on that one.  Yes, so far it runs very stable,
but then
there is very little software that takes advantage of it's new
features/capabilites.
Let's wait a few months and see how it behaves after people start loading in
newer software that is "... designed for Windows 2000....."

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html