From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:54:39 -0500
Without more details, it is hard to say what happened, but....
Problems with power will RARELY have any affect on a modem.
If the modem failed, I would look for a different cause.

As for the Surge Protectors....  they do one job only.
Block high voltage spikes (like lightning).

If there are problems caused by the vacuum cleaner,
then it is either a brown out -- too much equipment on
a single circuit.   Which __should__ trip the circuit breaker.

Or -- most likely -- an EMF/noise problem,  in which case,
an UNinteruptible Power Supply (UPS) should be used.
As Daniel and others have suggested.

Jim Meagher
Staff Editor