From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 08:01:59 -0400
At 04:12 PM 5/7/00 -0400, Herbert Graf wrote:

>         I BELIEVE, and correct me if I am wrong, that Windows services
> interrupts
>in the same order as the PC hardware orders them, if this is the case then
>this is the service order:
>
>0-1-2-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-3-4-5-6-7
>
>Please correct me if I am wrong on this. TTYL

I worked for Symantec for a while doing support for Winfax, which is modem
intensive. The wisdom around there was that Windows serviced the IRQ's
sequentially, and that Windows itself had problems dealing with modems that
were installed to the higher IRQ's.

Experience bore this out- we dealt with many problems with modems installed
on 9 or above, but this could also have been due to the fact that the
majority of those modems were Winmodems or equipment of that ilk. Forcing
these modems to what we considered a "standard" modem arrangement (comm1 or
2, irq 4 or 3, memory location 2f8 or 3f8) almost always solved the
problems, hence my recommendation to disable comm2 and use that location.

I can't prove that what I said in the first paragraph is true, but I do
know what worked :)

Regards-

Rick Lindstrom
Eugene, Oregon