Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:31:19 -0500
Todd,

I see that both my messages made it through the list server after all; the
second was basically the same as the first with a couple of edits and added
sentences.

> Previously, I could never get past about 3 weeks, because I would
> start getting mood swings and heart palpitations. I'm not sure
> why that is not happening now, but I have a theory that it was
> electrolyte depletion, causing low blood pressure and rhythm
> disturbances.  This time I have been careful to use plenty of
> extra salt -- the kind with potassium mixed in -- and I'm
> tolerating ketosis pretty well.

Interesting. That reminds me that I also was taking potassium pills while I
was in ketosis, as I think was recommended in Atkin's book. Perhaps that is
one reason I tolerated it well.

I'm reminded of something else, too... about four months into my eight month
weight loss period I started taking a "thermogenic" herbal supplement on a
daily basis. It wouldn't be right not to mention my use of this supplement
because it clearly had a powerful effect. The product is marketed as a
"natural herbal energizer". It contains chromium picolinate and selenium
along with a blend of fourteen herbs, the most important of which are
probably Guarana, Gotu Kola, Ephedra and White Willow bark. These herbs are
natural sources of caffeine, ephedrines and aspirin. The herbal formula
seemed to kick my weight loss into high gear, probably through an increase
in my physical activity level, a further reduction in my appetite and
perhaps also by increasing my basal metabolic rate. I stopped taking it
shortly after reaching my target weight.

-gts