BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:12:45 -0700
From: "J Cuyler Page" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2000 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: "biologic chinking (grouting)"

> With you resume, you might have a calling out here, Ken.

OOPs !   The horse stepped in a gopher hole while I was typing on my lap and
not looking where we were going.

"With your resume, you might....., Ken."

But it did remind me of a time in 1961 during a period when I was Soleri's
sole apprentice and was taking a little hitchhiking vacation to a little
fishing town in northern Mexico and got a ride between Phoenix and Yuma in a
car filled to the brim with other thumb-travelers.   The car was driven by a
bible teacher who had a personal mission to go back and forth across America
on Route 66 picking up people and giving them the Good Word.

Well, with so many lone folks in the car at once, he hardly got a word in
edge-wise.  When I got in, the usual questions were asked about "who are
you", "where are you going" and "what do you do".  When I finished my reply
about my architectural training, the wizened ancient lifetime cowboy ( he
was moving to Yuma from Wyoming because his old bones couldn't take the cold
winters any longer, and his sole possession, his saddle, was in the car's
trunk) sitting next to me spoke up and asked if I knew about Frank Lloyd
Wright, and without waiting for a reply, launched into the finest lecture I
have ever heard about Mr. Wright's career and reasons why various buildings
are considered significant.

When he finally finished, I asked how he knew so much about Wright and
modern architecture.  He said, "When yar out thar on a harse, thar ain't
much else to do but reaad."

cp