BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 20:54:51 -0700
> << Sounds interesting. Does it work on Flying Squirrels as well? >>
>
> The Krugman Wildilfe Refuge is really flying this year? You probably need

Electronic (sound maker) "Pestchasers" work wonderfully.   We have an
industrial strength model with three settings = mouse / squirrel /
skunk-raccoon and one of them even gets rid of flea beetles as well.   Our
old working flour mill must smell like Mouse Heaven with all the wheat and
fresh flour, but we have had so much success repelling mice from it that we
now have "Pestchasers" in all the buildings on this Historic Site.   They
create an "Acoustically Hostile Environment" according to the manufacturer
and really work.   Of course there are the occasional deaf mice just like
the rest of us animals with ears, but the nasty sound keeps the normal herds
away quite nicely.   We turn the volume down when we are working in the area
and set it high when we are leave.

However, I prefer to trap and transport skunks that move in under the museum
building using a "Havahart" wire mesh live trap.   18 critters in 10 years
without an "incident" until one time when I was showing an apprentice how to
do it, lost concentration and broke one of the cardinal rules for a moment
(made eye contact by mistake), and got a little spit on my pants from the
little guy in the cage just to show me he knew the rules.   Rules : 1) never
let them see your eyes, 2) keep up a nice low pitched friendly easy-going
conversation with them the whole time, 3) move your feet slowly and
gracefully (that is all they get to see and it is no threat).   They get a
free ride up into the mountains away from anyone's chicken house.   Ministry
of Environment wildlife officer tells me this is illegal.   It is illegal to
transport wildlife without a permit, which they will not issue, but it is
legally ok to shoot them if I wish !

Rattlesnakes are another matter.   10 of those in 10 years.   Just lift them
with a pitchfork and into a garbage can for their free ride to an old quarry
where they can work out things on their own with the rest of the residents
there.

Black Widows we just catch in jars for transport, but we pray a lot when
crawling under the buildings.

Scorpions seem to keep a natural distance.

Humans are another matter.

cp in bc