From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:55:50 -0500
I'm not familiar with your SoundBlaster Card. Does it provide an
IDE port (unused), and is it turned off with jumpers or in it's own
configuration software? That might be the start of your problems...
If you find that port on, it might have cause a "flag" to be set in the
registry to cause the rest of your problems...  If not, read on...

From similar things I have seen, it seems your Busmaster drivers
for the hard drive controller may have become disabled, corrupted,
or turned off...  OR?, You have a hardware problem...
If it is software:  I have fixed this sort of problem with a restore of a
recent back-up ("known working") of the registry.
You still need to "look for" the cause... (Unless it was a power spike...)
Since you change your system little, this could be a much older
back-up... You will loose any "system" changes made after the back-up,
but this works well, and is easier to "fix-up" when you are done...

If it is, (or was caused by), hardware...  Anything "loose" might have
caused this. Hard drive data or power cables, RAM not seated
"just right", something getting bumped, thermally induced changes in
sockets (creeping) and minor corrosion problems, etc...
I always "backup the data" and go in search of the small problems
before I freak-out with the big stuff...
Slightly over a year is an "odd" time for a MB to fail "statistically"
but you always have that chance...
When you said "re-installed"  Windows, did you format and do a
clean install, or just "go over" what was there...
If you did it the "easy way", you probably have enumeration
problems in your registry...
If you formatted, that would point more towards a hardware problem.
If you have access to a spare hard drive, (as small as 120m should
be fine for this), do a clean install and check out your hardware first that way...
FOR SAFETY, get your old hard drive(s) _out_of_the_system_ (or
disconnected) when fooling around...

One last though... When you said you deleted your devices...
Did you delete them in SAFE MODE?  You will generally find
MANY more "junk devices" in there, especially when you are having
problems.
If you write back to the list, try to let us know what type (VIA, INTEL, ?)
PCI controller chip your motherboard has. (I am only familiar with VIA).
Please keep all replies on the list, as I would like to learn an "easy"
way to correct this type of problem also...
Note: Sometimes it is only possible to remove an enumeration problem
like this, (if that is what it is), with a clean install of the OS...
Sometimes, a clean install is the quickest, easiest way to fix _various_
"software" problems...
I'm getting ready to "bite that bullet" for other problems...
My system -- Four years, and "_forced_" to keep running... 3.1/95a/95b
          Hope this helps,   Rick Glazier