From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:15:45 -0500
> Anybody tried to get 95, A or B to run well on something like a ----gasp,
> gasp--1991 Dell 433E,  (486-33mhz EISA machine)?  Would like to
> use it as a
> standby e-mail handler, when my current '96 PPro200 has problems.  I am
> eyeing these gig-a-hertz machines--who knows I am jump aboard soon, but in
> the meantime-- Tried plain old 95 original OEM a couple of times, but ran
> like molasses.  Used to use Mosiac Inet access software with Win 3.1, but
> this no longer reliably works with current ISP equip,--same ISP
> runs fine on
> my PPro. Have 28.8+ Robotics Modems on both machines.  Have tried several
> other e-mail programs, like Pegassus, Eudora, and others but nothing seems
> to get past the password stage,--just garbage, garbage, garbage,---same
> phone line, rural POTs, as for the PPro, only thing available here.  My
> Win95B CD had developed cracks from the hub, worse luck.  Any advice, any
> body??

        I had win95A working very well on a 486DX33, considering it wasn't used! :)
It was my server, and as long as you give win95 memory it works OK, not
quick by any means (I would never have wanted to work on that machine) but
enough certainly for an Inet connection. How much memory does the beast
have? 4MB is too little, 8MB is practically too little, 16MB is bare minimum
for me. As an alternative, try Linux, it runs quite well on a 486 as long as
you have SOME memory. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html