this is a wiki about chisels:  Chisel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oakum is a tarred rope used to caulk between wood joints on ships, and driven into the joints with a big flat chisel blade struck with a wooden mallet - I saw a demonstration when I was a kid at some seaport museum on the east coast
~deb

From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:52 PM
Subject: cold vs hot chisel

Im with Michael on this ; although i never knew what  oakum was made of
I did however know what hokum was made of ; but usually too late
and just for the record we had a TGIF  debate (Drinking) club at the cathedral called the "hot chisels "

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html