SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:54:38 +0000
John

A lie by definition is never acceptable, except in those cases where the social
system the person exists within is so unpleasent as to require it. For a person
to claim to be a scientist and to engage in lying to those outside of the
scientific realm is however unacceptable.

As already suggested I cannot imagine a scientific or technological action which
is outside of the political sphere - please propose one if you can... For a
scientist or indeed a philosopher to engage in lying for the furtherance of
career or some spurious idea is I would suggest to engage in unethical
behavior.  To applaud someone for lying for the highest motivations is to
suggest, perhaps I should say rather that I read your statement as suggesting,
that actions should be judged against an external moral purpose unfortunately...

It is worth thinking in terms of biopolitics at this point - to create a
concrete area of work - The fascist vision of biopolitics derived from 'the
conviction that soil and blood constitute what is essential about
Germaness...'(Rosenberg) from this and related discourses and ideologies a
complete range of biological and psychological subset of sciences were invented.
The experimentation on humans was justified through a biopolitical sleight of
hand which allowed the sub-human to be treated in any fashion that was
acceptable to the state and the nation. The scientists accepted the ideological
position and included all natural life within the political realm - at this
point any lying or evasion of ethical responsibility became unacceptable -
because almost any act or experiment imagined by a scientist could feasibly take
place and frequently did. The biopolitics of fascism revolve around the
definition of what constitutes a member of the local (A German etc) raised to
the level of scientific truth and investigation. I do not want at this point to
go further into the common insanity of scientists engaging in biopolitically
justified experiments - the history of vaccinations and also radiation
experiments are good examples if you need any - commonly knowledge has been
acquired by scientists that has required the torture and death of human beings -
the human beings and animals so tortured - actions and discourses sanctioned by
the political realm. The human subjects were denied all natural (that is
non-political) rights that we customarily apply on an everyday basis to the
human subject - the human beings were situated outside of the limits of human
existence... Abandoned to whatever extreme experiments scientists and the
political could imagine for them...

For myself the only acceptable ethical position against which to judge this is
to accept that this has taken place but that it does not diminsh the
responsibility of any scientist for their actions and statements. To lie, to
make statements which do not recognise your responsibility is to continue with
these appalling practices.

regards

sdv