EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:04:06 +0100
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Keith wrote:

>So did we.  Both my sons - now in their 20s - have been tireless cyclists
>and walkers all their lives and i put this down to their being carried and
>then allowed to walk as soon as they could.  when you don't have a pram,
>it is so much easier to allow the youngster to walk a few paces and scoop
>him/her up when they get tired; you can easily do this 20 or thirty times
>on a simple walk to the shops.

I've always cycled and never wanted a car. When Eleanor used to go to
school, we were the only ones walking. Now she's home educated we do endless
nature walks, which is a lot better than trudging past traffic jams of cars
full of bored and irritated parents and school children, breathing in all
the exhaust fumes!

I've heard that in England, children are almost always ferried to school and
back. The schools hardly ever take them on trips any more because of safety
regulations and fear of litigation. Because of fears about abduction and the
like, kids are rarely allowed to play out in the street, and many live
almost their entire young lives either caged in schools or confined to homes
watching TV or playing computer games. What this will do for their future
health is anyone's guess.

At least on my island there is very little crime and the kids are friendly
and not generally taught to be scared of strangers. They play out in the
streets, jump on buses and cycle everywhere. But the school run seems like a
ritual even though no school is too far away to walk to.

>There was a seminal article in the 1970s.  I have posted a copy on my site:

Thanks. Your site was one of the first Paleo sites I discovered, and I'm
still working through it ;-)

I've also found most of Art de Vany's stuff on the web. Any publication date
set yet?

Weston Price I know from way back. The others you mentioned I will follow
up.

Cheers,

Persephone