EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:32:24 -0500
Robb, Rick, Bob and Robert all make points I agree with.  I would just add
that Rob Faigin focuses on the neuroendocrine responses to different
exercise types (even specific exercises), recovery and different
maconutrient intakes.  Faigin's recommendations concerning carbs need to
be read in the light of his efforts to enhance the beneficial hormonal
response for the best of health; this means he distinguishes between
fructose and glucose and between carbs from starch, carbs from vegetables
and carbs from fruit - broadly speaking.  His recommendations for
occasional carb loading should be seen as recommendations to maximize the
many beneficial effects of insulin surges rather than consuming carbs for
the limited purpose of replenishing energy stores for use in physical
activity.  To ignore Faigin 7s hormonal preoccupation is to interpret him
on terms other than his own.

As to Art DeVany's references, I shall say two things.  (1) Art is a
widely published academic with a string of papers over many years as well
as a strong record of teaching.  Art knows about references.  (2) The
Origin of Species has a hundred or so references, but few are used in the
modern way; Darwin uses them more as jumping off points for arguing his
position, rather than as authorities to refer to for further information
on a particular matter.  Weston Price cited few references; Daniel Quinn
none.  I personally see Art's synthesis as right up there with these
classics.  Since coming across his ideas, I have been driven to read
widely on evolution, human evolution, natural selection and sexual
selection, evolutionary psychology, prehistoric human diets, primate
diets, exercise, epidemiology, complexity, e
mergence and the social and
physical environments in which these occur now and in which they evolved
over millions of years.  I have picked up enough to know when someone is
talking sense or nonsense.  Art talks sense.  Personally, I won't mind if
there are no references in anything he might write; his work has already
inspired me to learn enough to know where or how to explore further any
claims he may make and to evaluate them critically.  And the most
important thing he gives us is his synthesis: he is breaking new ground
and there are no references to back up his synthesis.  I have no interest
at all in the brand of glutathione he uses: it is the novel intellectual
framework he contructs and the mode of enquiry he introduces which are his
gifts; we can all fill in the pieces of this framework to suit ourselves
and pursue the mode of enquiry according to our needs - and provide our
own references along the way.