EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Huw Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:03:43 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Hi everybody,

I'm Huw, Keith's son - I'm the person in the pictures (the younger one).
Just thought I'd chime in and clarify some things where I can.

The exercises are sometimes done to exhaustion, but just as often not.  The nature of kettlebells
is such that you can lose "the edge" very quickly, which prevents you from making another lift - it
is both a nervous system thing and a thought that you can't lift it that quickly transforms into the
physical inability to perform the movement.  This is because kettlebells are demanding not only in
terms of strength, but also agility, balance, coordination.

In this regard they are a good replication of a vigorous lifestyle - they work the main muscles as
well as the stabilisers around the joint, something that machines cannot do - machines allow a
movement along a one dimensional plane, negating the need for stabilisers.  If the stabilisers are
not as developed as the main muscle, then you are at risk of failure and injury.  For example, a
chest press machine weight of 100kg (1 dimension) doesn't translate to 100kg bench press (2
dimensions), which certainly never translates to a dumbell press of 50kg in each hand (3
dimensional movement).

The exercises are always as intense as possible, although the weight/exercise/reps really decides
how exhausting the exercise is.

There are several ways in which kettlebells are non-paleo: they are often used for high-repetition
upper body strength and power movements - it is debabtable whether the human body is suited
to such movements.  However, because of the compound nature of the exercises, I'm using the
core and the legs at the same time.

The fun aspect of exercise, for me at least, is the feeling one gets with a functional body running
up steps 3 at a time.  The associated pain/exhaustion are not strictly fun as such, but the mental
satisfaction I get from being active is very enjoyable.

Huw

The FAQ for Evolutionary Fitness is at http://www.evfit.com/faq.htm