EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:57:04 +0100
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

I've been eating paleofoods for over a month and feel very good as a result. I now want to do more paleo exercises. Currently I cycle, walk, rock scramble, swim in the sea and do some weight training with ankle weights and dumb bells. I much prefer to do as many of my activities outdoors as possible.

I've been wondering about the kinds of exercises that would approximate the activities of paleolithic women. Can I presume that  they were primarily gatherers, water and child carriers, preparers of skins etc?  Did they join in the hunt as some present-day women in hunter gatherer societies do? Is there any way of knowing?

I'd be grateful for any links to sites, or book recommendations that cover this topic. Also, I'd like any suggestions for exercise activities suitable for women (nothing wimpish or girly please, I abhor Lycra <g>.) My goals are flexibility and strength. I'd like to achieve this as simply as possible, using minimum gym equipment and maximum work outside.

I'd also like to ask advice about a recent problem. After years of trouble-free cycling I suddenly suffered from lower back pain, dull pains over the fronts of my thighs, and upper knee pains. My doc and physio said that I had over-developed my quads. Is the answer simply to pay more attention to my hamstrings? I'm a real neophyte as far as muscles are concerned, but I learn quickly. Can anyone advise on how to correct this imbalance?  I'm proud of my strong quads and don't want to reduce them, and if I reduce my cycling (non-paleo, I know ;-)) my spirits suffer along with my energy levels.

Cheers,

Persephone