EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 05:27:50 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:35, Balzer, Ben wrote:

>http://www.sciam.com/special/toc.cfm?issueid=11&sc=rt_nav_list
>Scientific American have a special on human evolution which
>has something to offend just about everybody.
>
>There are article on many aspects including diet, childbirth etc.

Yes, Ben; it's an odd collection of articles, but well worth reading right
through.  There is still the odd - and old and boring - preoccupation with
cannibalism.  What I enjoyed was a good case for each side in the 'out of
Africa school' and the 'multi-regional hypothesis'.  Co-author of the
latter, with Milford Wolpoff, is Alan Thorne of the Australian National
University and he posits - obliquely - the possibility of Homo spp.
arriving in Australia well before 42,000 - 60,000 years ago as presently
accepted.  Thorne is at the forefront of recent fossil discoveries and is
no recluse with an absurd bee in his bonnet.  So, there is clearly more to
be said here.

Keith